FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
First Ever Long Island Craft Beer Week To be held May 13-May 22
BAY SHORE, NY. (April 18, 2011) - The first ever Long Island Craft Beer Week will launch next month, May 13-22, 2011 with special events planned for both Nassau and Suffolk counties. The 10-day, island-wide event is a collaborative venture created to raise awareness of the thriving local craft beer culture and promote patronage at local establishments.
The Brewers Association, the trade association for U.S. brewing companies, reports that in 2010 the U.S. craft brewing industry saw volume increase 11 percent and retail sales dollars increase 12 percent over 2009. "Craft brewers' stories resonate with Americans who are choosing small, independent companies making delicious beers in more than 100 different styles," said Paul Gatza, director, Brewers Association.
Uniting local breweries, restaurants, retailers, bars, and business partners with beer enthusiasts, the first Long Island Craft Beer Week will be a celebration of beer, the making of beer, and the enjoyment of beer. Long Island's first Craft Beer Week will be filled with entertaining and educational beer events-including:
· The Golden Tap Awards Gala honoring Long Island's beer makers, innovators and pioneers held at the Boulton Center for the Performing Arts (Bay Shore).
· Breakfast with the Brewers at Carlyle on the Green (Farmingdale). Sponsored by ExecuLeaders and www.LongIslandBeerEvents.com.
· Golf Tournament & Beer Dinner (Wading River) featuringthe beers of Long Ireland Beer Company.
· SimulCask - the simultaneous tapping of beer casks at locations across Long Island, among them T.J. Finley's (Bay Shore), Bobbique (Patchogue), Great South Bay Brewery (Bay Shore), The Good Life (Massapequa Park), The Cortland (Bay Shore), and the Tap and Barrel (Smithtown), .
· Long Island Craft Beer & Casino Cruise Night aboard the Opus Casino Cruise Lines (Freeport). Sponsored by The Good Life.
· Cask Festival which will feature 10 casks from local and regional breweries. Hosted by T.J. Finley's (Bay Shore).
· Super Neat Peanut Butter and Jelly Time at The Cortland - adventurous beer enthusiasts can try a homebrew of PB&J beer paired with Uncrustables® from Smucker's® while raising funds for Little Shelter Animal Rescue.
· East Coast v. West Coast IPA Challenge hosted by Left Coast Kitchen and Cocktails (Merrick).
Meet the brewer nights, beer dinners, brewery tours, cooking classes, beer tastings and more will be hosted by participating breweries, bars, retailers and restaurant owners across the Island. The ever-growing list of events can be viewed at www.LongIslandCraftBeerWeek.com.
Different levels of sponsorship are available to venues who wish to host events during this celebration. Sponsorship includes featured advertising in the special pull out guide being prepared and distributed by Long Island Press as well as on the event website www.LongIslandCraftBeerWeek.com. Official Long Island Craft Beer Week sponsors include: WBAB 102.3, Long Island Press, The New York State Brewers Association, L.I.B.M.E. (Long Island Beer and Malt Enthusiasts) Homebrew Club, and www.LIBeerEvents.com, Long Island's local beer calendar.
Long Island Craft Beer Week is a non-profit organization overseen by an executive board comprised of brewery owners, distributors, restaurateurs, retailers, event marketers. The executive board will oversee the distribution of net proceeds to both local and national charities.
# # #